SEPT.11, 2019 REV. 1.2
BYLAW NO. 1 – TERRITORY
- Membership in this club shall, but not necessarily, be from the York Region area.
BYLAW NO. 2 – MEMBERSHIP
- An application for membership shall be accompanied by an initiation fee of
$ 20.00 for a membership badge and an annual membership fee of $ 60.00. The membership fee for any members inducted after Feb. 1st shall be $ 30.00 plus the initiation fee of $20.00. All new members will receive a copy of the Probus Club of Aurora’s constitution, Club’s bylaws and duties and responsibilities of the Executive Committee, along with a membership list.
- Membership caps are to be determined by a vote of the members.
- Annual membership fees are payable on the 2nd week of September.
- The Executive Committee may terminate the membership of any member who fails to pay the annual membership fee by December 31.
- Honorary membership may be conferred on a person, who is not a member, by a majority of the members voting at a general meeting. An Honorary member shall not be required to pay the annual membership fee and shall enjoy all privileges of membership except voting and election to office. The Club will pay for the Honoree’s name badge. No more than 2% of the membership shall be Honorary members at any given time.
- membership may be conferred on a person by a majority of the members voting at a general meeting, upon a member who has rendered outstanding service to the Club. No more than 2% of the membership shall be Life members at any given time. Future Dues will be paid by the Club.
- Conduct of Members. If, in the opinion of, and after due consideration by, the Club’s Executive Committee, a member conducts him/herself is such a manner as to bring discredit to the Probus Club of Aurora or they cause discord within the membership, they may be asked to resign from membership in the Probus Club. The resignation request should be made if, after discussion between the member and the Executive committee, the conflict is not resolved.
BYLAW NO. 3 – MANAGEMENT
- The President, or his/her designate, shall preside at all meetings of the Executive Committee and at the General Meetings. This is a 2-year term, renewable position.
- There will be two Vice-Presidents, which apart from providing support to the President and the Executive team, will have specific responsibilities for the smooth running of the Probus Club. This is a 2-year term, renewable position.
- The Secretary shall be responsible for recording, printing and distributing all minutes of the Club and the Club’s archival material. The secretary shall formalize the minute notes and forward this report to the Executive Committee. This is a 2-year term, renewable, position.
- The Financial Director is responsible for all financial aspects of the Probus Club of Aurora as detailed in the Duties and Responsibilities of the position. This is a 3-year term, renewable position.
- The Vice President-Membership shall be responsible for the duties as mentioned in the Duties and Responsibilities summary and for the membership roll which shall include member’s names, postal and email address, telephone and fax numbers and any other information which the Executive Committee may determine to be required. This is a 2-year term, renewable, position.
- The Vice President-Website/Social Media shall be responsible for the duties as mentioned in the Duties and Responsibilities summary and for keeping the membership informed of club activities through the Website, through social media and any other information which the Executive Committee may determine to be required. He/She will maintain the Website and keep it current and ensure that all club events are publicized and made available to the community. This is a 2-year term, renewable, position.
- The Past-President position, on the Executive Committee, is to assist the incoming Executive on the history and procedures of the Probus Club of Aurora and is non voting. This position is a one (1) year term position and can be filled by any past President of the Probus Club of Aurora.
- The Program Director position is responsible to contract with the presenters to the Probus Club of Aurora as detailed in the Duties and Responsibilities of this Executive position. This is a 2-year term, renewable, position.
- The Social Director is responsible for organizing and implementing all social activities of the Probus Club of Aurora including the Christmas Luncheon and the Summer Bar-B-Q. This is a 2-year term, renewable, position.
- The Communications Director is responsible primarily for the newsletter and for all content included in the newsletter. This position is to abide with the Duties and Responsibilities as detailed in the summary position description. This is a 2-year term, renewable, position.
- All Executive personnel shall abide by the appropriate duties and responsibilities of their specific position. No individual shall serve on the Executive Committee for longer than a six (6) year period. This period can include multiple positions on the Executive Committee.
- Members-at-large are appointed by the Executive Committee and is a position for past executives or members interested in joining the board. The term for this position is 1 year. This is a non-voting position.
- All members who are interested in becoming part of the Executive Committee can attend executive meetings but do not have voting privileges until they have been elected.
- The President shall review the Standard Constitution for clubs and their own Club’s bylaws with the Executive Committee prior to or at the first Executive Committee meeting following the establishment of a new Executive Committee.
BYLAW NO. 4 – ELECTION OF OFFICERS
- A nominating committee will consist of a president or a past-president as chair and 2 members of the Executive Committee. If a member of the Executive is not available, then the current President shall appoint a member of good standing to become part of the nominating committee. The nominating committee shall present a slate of candidates to the Club at a General Meeting prior to the Annual General Meeting held in June.
- Any further nominations (with prior consent to stand) shall be conveyed to the Nominating Committee at least 14 days prior to the Annual Meeting held in June.
- When an election is required, voting shall be by a secret ballot. An individual who has been a past president will be appointed by the President to organize the election, distribute and collect the ballots and provide written results of the election.
- All Executive Committee personnel shall be presented to the membership once their term is finished for a renewal vote. Any member may present themselves if they would like to run for election in this open position.
- Any individual who would like to fill a vacant position on the Executive Committee can do so until the next Annual General Meeting at which time their appointment will be voted on by the membership. This interim appointment must be approved by the Executive Committee with a simple majority vote.
6. All elected positions begin on September 1 and end at the end of August.
BYLAW NO. 5 – GENERAL MEETINGS
- The annual General Meeting shall be held on the regular meeting day in the month of June. At this meeting, members of the Executive Committee, who have completed their term, shall be elected.
- General meetings of the Probus Club of Aurora shall be held on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at the Royal Canadian Legion 105 Industrial Parkway South, Aurora, Ontario.
- The quorum at all General Meetings shall be 25% of the membership.
- Any notice of motion shall be submitted in writing to the Secretary and read to the General Meeting one month prior to the meeting at which it will be considered and voted on. For the information of members not in attendance at this General Meeting, one prior notice in the Club’s newsletter or in the Website shall be sufficient.
BYLAW NO. 6 – FINANCIAL
- The treasurer, or his/her nominee, shall receive, record and deposit all funds of the Club in a financial institution approved by the Executive Committee. The signing officers shall be any two (2) of the following; Treasurer, President, Vice President or secretary.
- An annual financial review shall be conducted, and a report presented to the Members at the Annual General Meeting of the Club.
- The annual financial review may be conducted by a qualified member of the Club who is not a member of the Executive Committee.
BYLAW NO. 7 – NON PROFITABILITY
- Club activities are to be budgeted to break even, leaning towards a slight profit, instead of a loss.
- The Club may advance funds, with approval of the Executive Committee, when prepayment or a deposit for an event or rental of a facility or supplies is required prior to the collection of funds from the Members. Such advances shall be recorded and repaid to the club or member if appropriate.
- Any individual member of the Club must not gain a benefit from a discount, gratuity or other benefits from a Club activity.
BYLAW NO. 8 – AMENDMENT
- Any bylaw may be amended by two thirds (2/3) majority of the members present and voting at a General Meeting, provided that a notice of motion has been given as required by bylaw no. 5 paragraph 4.
- Any such amendment to the Club’s Bylaws must be consistent with the Clubs Constitution.
- The Club’s bylaws shall be reviewed annually by the Executive Committee for possible amendments or as deemed necessary.